Variation items are items that show on a single listing in your marketplace/cart with color, size, etc. options. Choosing a specific option selects a specific SKU to order.
Many backend systems (e.g. NetSuite) have built-in support for variation items. We recommend using the built-in item types because FarApp has native support for it and it's the easiest to manage the different variation options in the backend system since that is the intended use. For example, variation items in NetSuite are represented as the matrix item type, where you define parent, children, and variation fields (e.g. color, size, etc.). Typically there will be a parent item which will contain most of the information about the listing including description, name, etc. Then there will be children representing each unique variation. Each of the children can have fields overriding the parent's value and each child needs to have its own unique SKUs (the majority of marketplaces/carts require this).
- Follow the Matrix Items Guide for creating an item record.
- Use an item matrix to track the items by options such as size and color.
In FarApp, we usually need to map the variation option list fields (indicates the varying value - i.e. for size, 'XL' or 'L') in order to create a variation listing in the cart or marketplace. So you’ll want to populate/create a field in NetSuite that hold these values.
NOTE: Marketplaces/carts may vary in requirements for matrix/variation items. If you believe your setup will need to be adjusted to accommodate, please contact FarApp support for more information or refer to the FAQ Section for your specific marketplace/cart.
- In the FarApp Menu on the far left, select the appropriate account.
- Go to Product Mappings for the selected account. For an explanation of how to use the page, please see this article.
- Click Add Mapping in the upper right of the page.
- Select a marketplace/cart field to map from either the Required, Standard or Uncommon drop down menus.
- The variation fields usually are in the Standard fields. Select the desired field. (Typically is called "Options", but the name can vary depending on the marketplace/cart.
- Click Add Mapping and close the popup window.
- In the main mapping page, put in the Field ID of the options field in NetSuite and put that Field ID in NetSuite Field ID column for the mapping that you just created.
- Click Save.
- You will need to repeat the steps above for every attribute you vary on. (i.e. color, size, etc.).
Please proceed with Step 5: Additional Product Mappings.