Creating Variation Items Using Matrix Items
Variation items are items that show on a single listing in your marketplace/cart with color, size, etc. variations. Choosing a specific variation selects a specific SKU to order.
Many backend systems (e.g. NetSuite) have built-in support for variation items. We recommend you use the built-in item types because FarApp has native support for it and it's the most easy to manage the different variation options in the backend system since that is the intended use. For example, variation items in NetSuite are represented as the matrix item type, where you define parent, children, and variation fields (e.g. color, size, etc.). Typically there will be a parent item which will contain most of the information about the listing including description, name, etc. Then there will be children representing each unique variation. Each of the children can have fields overriding the parent's value and each child needs to have its own unique SKUs (the majority of marketplaces/carts require this).
For instruction setting up Matrix items, see the following article:
If you need help setting up Matrix items, please reach out to NetSuite.
Creating a Parent/Child Relationship Without Matrix Items
You may find yourself in a situation where you want to list variation items but you don't want to create matrix items in NetSuite in order to setup the parent/child relationship that FarApp needs to post variation items. FarApp allows you to setup a custom field where you specify the parent of an item which will create the relationship needed. We call these "Virtual Variation" items and you will need the assistance of our support team to complete the setup.
Follow these steps:
Create parent items
You create a parent item just like you would a normal inventory item:
- In NetSuite go to Lists > Accounting > Items > New
- Select 'Inventory Item'
- Fill out any relevant fields you want for your item and save
Create the custom parent field
The custom field for a parent needs to be a list field that points to the parent item:
- In NetSuite go to Customization > Lists, Records, & Fields > Item Fields > New
- Enter a label and id for the field that will help you remember what this field is.'Parent Item' usually works.
- For 'Type' select 'List/Record' this will show a field beneath called 'List/Record' here you will select 'Item' - This is important because it makes the field an item reference field. When you navigate to the applicable "child" item, this field should be a searchable prepopulated dropdown list of all your items.
- In the 'Applies To' tab make sure you select all the item types you want to use this field for
- Save this new field. Now you will need to give FarApp the field id for the custom parent so we know what field we need to use to determine the parent/child relationship.
Populate the custom parent field
- On each child item, select the parent item into the custom field you created.