Creating alias items goes against what FarApp considers leading practice. Whenever possible, we recommend creating separate inventory items in NetSuite for all of your items rather than creating alias skus.
If that is not possible, FarApp can support alias items in NetSuite for order processing. This is useful if you have multiple SKUs in your marketplace/cart that should match with a single SKU in NetSuite when posting orders. To create alias SKUs, you can use one of the following three methods:
Of the below methods, all but the Kit Item Method require additional setup in FarApp.
Kit Item Method (Leading Practice)
- Product Sync
- Order Sync
For each alias of a particular item (say the item has SKU base), you’ll create a kit item and the kit item will have one component item which will be the original item (e.g. base). The SKU of the kit item will be the alias SKU.
When orders import, they’ll import against the kit item, which will correctly commit inventory from the single component item.
- FarApp can sync these alias kit items to your marketplaces/carts.
- If we are syncing these items to your marketplaces/carts, the other benefit is that the kit item can have its own data if you’d like. For example, it can have a title, description, etc. that differs from the original item. FarApp still needs all the fields a marketplace/cart requires populated for the kit/alias item. We do not fetch the values for those fields from the component/base item. This is what allows you to set different values for those fields on the alias item than on the base item. But we still need those fields populated.
- FarApp considers this method the best practice approach to Alias SKUs. If you sell items under more than one listing, the best approach for managing this is to use this method. It is the safest and most efficient way to to do this and requires no additional setup for your FarApp account.
- Cannot be used with matrix item types. If you have matrix items configured in NetSuite and need to support alias SKUs on these items, you'll need to use one of the other methods below.
- Kit items can't be included on Transfer Orders so if your Alias SKUs need to be on transfer orders this is not a method you can use.
- Components must be unique if used for FBA SKUs. NetSuite only tracks inventory for actual items (the components in the Kit) therefore you can't have two or more different FBA SKUs using the same component. If one item in NetSuite is the component of more than one FBA SKU, since those FBA SKUs can have different inventory in Amazon, the component would need to be able to have an inventory value for each SKU at the same time which is not possible.
Custom Record Method
- Product Sync
- Order Sync
- Create a custom record type in NetSuite under Customization->Lists, Records, & Fields->Record Types->New.
- You can call it something like “Item Alias.”
- Make sure the “Include Name Field” checkbox is checked because the records names will be your alias SKUs.
- Click Save.
- The “Fields” tab will appear.
- Click “New Field.”
- Give it a label like “Original Item.”
- Set the type to “List/Record.”
- Set list/record dropdown to “Item”.
- Now in order to create an alias item, you’ll add records of this new type by going to Customization->Lists, Records, & Fields->Record Types. You should see your new record type in the list and it should have a column called “New Record”. If you click that, you’ll be able to add an alias record. Its name will be your alias SKU and it should have a single field for selecting the original item.
- In FarApp populate the IDs of the record and the field in the Alias SKU Settings section of the Advanced Options under Settings > Orders.
- The number of aliases is dynamic for each item so you don’t need to add additional fields as the number of aliases grow and you don’t need to remap anything in FarApp when you add aliases.
- This method does not work if you are using FarApp's Virtual Variations feature for your items.(https://support.farapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/21736735). However, it does work if your variation items are configured as matrix items.
- Not supported by Amazon add-on syncs like Inbound Shipping Sync and FBA Inventory Adjustment Sync. If you utilize this Alias SKU method with those syncs, you need to make sure the FBA SKU is the actual item in NetSuite and the MFN item is the Alias record SKU.